Items Accepted at the Whipple Ave Recycling & Compost Facility: (proof of residency required)
- Yard Waste - brush must be 4” diameter and cut in 5’ lengths or less. Place leaves in paper bags only.
- Mattresses, Box Springs & Futon Mattresses
- Rigid Plastic – children’s toys, vacuums, hose reels, lawn furniture, etc.
- Scrap Metals – bicycles, rims, lawn mowers (drained of fluids) grills (cleaned) pipes, exercise stations, VCR/CD/DVD players with metal cases & other misc metal items items that are not accepted in the recycle cart.
- Tires - limit of 4; must be off the rim. No tires bigger than a tractor trailer tire.
- Christmas Trees – first two Wednesdays & Saturdays of January ONLY. Trees must be free of tinsel & ornaments. No Plastic Bags Permitted.
- Extra Recycling–Any item that you normally place in your recycle cart is accepted in this dumpster, in addition to large cardboard boxes. Please make sure that all cardboard boxes are flattened prior to placing them in the dumpster.
- Appliances/White Goods - Non-Freon appliances (stoves, washers, dryers etc.) can be brought to Whipple Ave for no fee. Local metal recyclers advertising in the Bargain Buyer will often pickup Freon appliances at no charge or residents can schedule an appointment with Waste Management for a pickup (1-800-972-4545).
- Textiles– The following can be recycled in any condition as long as it’s clean and dry:Pants, Shorts, Sweatpants, Jeans, Shirts, T-shirts, Jerseys, Pajamas, Socks, Undergarments/Bras, Sweatshirts, Sweaters, Dresses, Skirts, Coats, Jackets, Suits, Flip flops, Boots, Shoes, Slippers, Belts, Ties, Purses, Hats, Pillows, Bedding: comforter, sheets, pillow cases, blankets, Curtains/Draperies, Table linens, Stuffed animals.
Questions? Call 568-4440 x 12 or send email.
Residents are reminded that the Compost Facility is not a dump or Transfer Station. Please do not bring any construction waste, solid waste, hazardous waste, or any material that is not accepted at the facility.
Whipple Ave Recycling & Compost Facility hours:
Whipple Ave is now open EVERY Wednesday and Saturday year-round, weather permitting from 9-1. Changes in the hours due to extreme weather conditions are left on the Recycling Coordinator's voicemail 568-4440 x12.
Whipple Ave Recycling & Compost Facility directions: The facility is located at 350 Whipple Ave in Oakland, RI. Whipple Ave is the next right after Burrillville High School if you pass the High School on the right. The facility is about 1/4 mile on the right after you pass the field.
Items can also be brought to
RI Resource Recovery
65 Shun Pike Johnston
Monday – Friday 6:00 am to 3:30 pm
Saturday 6:00 am to 12:00 pm
Disposal of Items NOT Accepted at the Whipple Ave Recycling & Compost Facility:
- Bulky Items –an item of solid waste that is not recyclable and is too large to fit inside a bag placed inside the Town provided cart. Examples include couch, chair, desk, rugs, carpets, etc. Bulky items are collected twice per month for a fee of $15 per item. Call Waste Management to schedule a pickup at 1-800-972-4545.
- Computer Ink Cartridges – Bring to DPW to be donated to the Burrillville Lions.
- Construction/Demolition Debris – Anything that was or could be attached to your home is considered construction debris. Examples include windows, shower doors, wood, bathtubs, toilets, sheet rock etc. Bring to RIRRC, hire a private hauler, or use the Bagster program.
Hazardous E-waste - computers, laptops, monitors, tablets, and TV’s can be brought to one of the five state collection program locations (Johnston/RIRRC, Little Compton, Barrington, Coventry, and Narragansett). These locations will only accept hazardous E-waste. Hazardous E-waste is banned from the landfill and will result in a fine if found in the trash. For more information visit www.rirrc.org/ecodepot or call 942-1430 x241. There is no fee to drop off hazardous E-waste at these locations.
Hazardous Household Waste – chemicals, fertilizers, propane tanks, oil based paint, pool chemicals, gasoline, transmission fluid, etc. - Bring to Eco-Depot. Call Rhode Island Resource Recovery @ 942-1430 ext. 241.
- Medical Syringes – Place in hard plastic container (laundry detergent bottle, bleach bottle etc.) seal cap tightly with duct tape and place container in the trash.
- Plastic Bags – tie in a knot and drop off at any ReStore bin, including Brigido’s IGA in Pascoag.
- Styrofoam - coffee cups, take out boxes, hard packing Styrofoam, Styrofoam plates etc.... ~these items can all be recycled at Konsolidated Warehouse & Distribution. KWD only accepts HARD Styrofoam. ~They do not accept soft, squishy Styrofoam or packing peanuts, pipe insulation or bubble wrap. Rinse and place in a plastic bag. KWD is located at 660 Douglas Rd in Uxbridge, MA. Call for more information 508-731-5020.
- Used Motor Oil, Oil Filters, Car Batteries – Drop off at DPW. 5 gallon limit for motor oil.